Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year 2010~ Haydens 1st Sushi!


I was having a craving for some sushi!
I have been not feeling well and my christmas was spent in bed,
so I wanted to do something nice for myself to make
me feel better about this new year that has come~ 20-10!
I decided to get some sushi takeout and enjoy my treat at home relaxing.
Well Hayden was very interested in what I was eating...
"Mommy what is that?" he said
"Its called Sushi" I said
"I want one" he said
"Really? Ok then, you can try one"
"Mmmmm, this is good, I want another one!" he said
"Lyza, do you want some of mommy's sushi?" I said
"Nooooo, un-uh" shaking her head
"Ok more for me" I said
I guess she got her Daddys tastebuds! hee hee


This is a California Roll above (with cream cheese added) a kind of sushi roll, usually made inside-out, containing cucumber, crab meat and avocado, sprinkled with tobiko. You can get the cream cheese added on request.


This Philadelphia roll almost always consists of smoked salmon,
cream cheese, and cucumber. This one is sprinkled with sesame seed.
SUSHI FACTS:
What is sushi? - Not just raw fish -
Is sushi equal to raw fish? No. Raw fish is called sashimi in Japan and is not the same as sushi. Sushi indicates foods that use rice seasoned with sweet rice-wine vinegar. Of course, raw fish is the most popular ingredient in sushi, but the main element of sushi is Japanese sticky rice. There are many kinds of sushi, which don't include raw fish.

History of Sushi - Came from China -
The origin of sushi is not Japan. It is said that sushi was introduced into Japan in the 7th century from China. People began making sushi to preserve fish by fermentation when there were no refrigerators. Since salt and rice were needed in order to ferment, sushi became closely related to rice in Japan. It developed into current sushi which combine fish and rice.

Sushi Nutrition -Low in Fat-
Sushi is low in fat and is a very nutritious food. A typical setting of 7 to 9 pieces contains about 300-450 calories. The fish in sushi provides protein and can be a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. Vegetables are a great source of vitamines. Seaweed is rich in iodine.
And rice provides complex carbohydrates.



Im soo proud of my son for being adventurous and trying
his very first sushi cuisine on his own.
I now have a sushi eating partner in the family....yeah!!
Happy New Year!
Here is to trying new things and
being adventurous in 20-10!!
Somer Jane

1 comment:

Heather said...

Yummmmmmmm...you know these are my favorite! Now I'm craving them! I LOVE reading your blog sweet friend. Go to my blog I have an award for you. ;-)
http://eagerlittlemind.blogspot.com/2010/03/happy-101-award.html